We are ready to make a decision on the City Square, QV Melbourne and Goldsbrough Lane smoke-free areas
August 7, 2015
All feedback received during the engagement program for City Square, QV Melbourne and Goldsbrough Lane has now been reviewed and a report produced on the outcomes. On Tuesday 11 August 2015, the Future Melbourne Committee will use that report to make a decision on whether to prescribe the areas smoke-free.
Key findings in the report include:
- 85 per cent of people who took part in an intercept survey supported or were neutral towards the smoking bans
- 89 per cent of people who completed an online survey supported the smoking bans
- A significant number of businesses expressed the view that a blanket ban would be more fair and equitable.
The recommendations are for Future Melbourne Committee to approve:
1. The areas known as QV Melbourne and Goldsbrough Lane to be prescribed as smoke-free areas under Clause 3A.3 of the Activities Local Law 2009.
2. The area known as City Square to be prescribed as a smoke-free area between the hours of 6am and 8pm for a 12 month trial period with management providing a report to Future Melbourne Committee reviewing the trial by November 2016.
Recommendation two is in response to business concern regarding enforcement during late-night operating hours, the open space nature of the square and the low number of children and families present after hours.
The full report can be viewed by visiting the Future Melbourne Committee meeting documentation page.
Tuesday’s meeting will commence at 5.30pm at Melbourne Town Hall. If you are interested in attending or would like to make a final submission please visit the Council and committee meetings page or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will keep you informed on the outcome of the meeting.