Are you interested in creating a greener Melbourne? Volunteering as a citizen forester is a fantastic opportunity to meet new people, learn new skills and build knowledge about green space in our city.
Citizen Science is a growing discipline around the world that allows citizens to participate in the collection and analysis of scientific data.
Catering for different levels of ability and interest, the Citizen Forester Program has a variety of activities that allow volunteers to participate in a meaningful, fun and rewarding environmental work.
If you are interested in becoming a citizen forester, sign up and we'll be in touch.
Since 2011, the City of Melbourne has worked closely with the community to develop the Urban Forest Strategy and the subsequent Urban Forest Precinct Plans for each of the city’s 10 precincts. This collaborative process has fostered high levels of interest and participation in creating a greener Melbourne.
The Citizen Forester Program has been established to facilitate ongoing and meaningful partnership with the community to grow and enhance one of Melbourne's most important assets: our urban forest.
To become a citizen forester, you must:
- Register your interest by completing the sign up form.
- You will then be contacted by City of Melbourne to finalise your enrolment.
- Complete your volunteer profile with the City of Melbourne's HR team.
- Complete your police check and working with children check, in line with City of Melbourne volunteer protocol (free of charge for volunteers).
- Accept the volunteer code of conduct.
For more information see: volunteer information pack.
If you have any questions, please contact the Urban Forest and Ecology team.