The City of Melbourne has prepared Amendment C323 to the Melbourne Planning Scheme.
Amendment C323 aims to encourage the provision of arts and creative industry along Sturt Street in Southbank to support the role of the State Significant Melbourne Arts Precinct.
- Inserts Schedule 7 to the Capital City Zone and rezones the land from Capital City Zone 3 (CCZ3) and General Residential Zone 1 (GRZ1) to the Capital City Zone 7 (CCZ7) on a permanent basis
- Amends the Urban Design within the Capital City Zone Policy at Clause 22.01 to include reference to Schedule 7 to the Capital City Zone
- Amends Schedule 1 to the Design and Development Overlay at Clause 43.02 to include reference to Schedule 7 to the Capital City Zone
- Deletes Schedule 12 to the Parking Overlay and applies Schedule 1 to land previously zoned GRZ1
You're invited to review and comment on Amendment C323 by Monday 21 May 2018. You can do this by making a submission below, via email or by post.
To find out more, view the supporting information in the document library.
On 7 March 2018 the Minister for Planning approved Amendment C330 which introduced Schedule 7 to the Capital City Zone on an interim basis.
The permanent controls are required to safeguard the Arts Precinct and ensure it continues to foster art, cultural and creative outcomes. Specifically, Schedule 7 to the Capital City Zone proposes:
- A purpose that maintains and enhances the Melbourne Arts Precinct as a significant arts and cultural precinct.
- A mix of ‘as of right’ and ‘permissible’ uses which are specifically tailored to the future needs of the Melbourne Arts Precinct and seek to encourage the provision of arts and creative industry uses within the first four storeys of buildings, together with the provision of active street frontages and integration with the public realm.
- Application requirements and decision guidelines in respect of the use of land which further the purposes of the zone.
The consequential changes to Clause 22.01 (Urban Design in the Capital City) and Schedule 1 to Clause 43.02 (Design and Development Overlay) are required to ensure the continued application of the urban design policy contained in Clause 22.01 and the active street frontage requirements contained in Schedule 1 to Clause 43.02.
The application of Schedule 1 to the Parking Overlay is required to ensure that the correct car parking requirements are applied to land within the Capital City Zone. The current Schedule 12 to the Parking Overlay is only applicable to land located within a residential zone.
Amendment C323 area map:
Any person who may be affected by the amendment may make a submission to the planning authority. Submissions must be made in writing giving the submitter’s name and contact address, clearly stating the grounds on which the amendment is supported or opposed and indicating what changes (if any) the submitters wishes to make.
Name and contact details of submitters are required for Council to consider submissions and notify such persons of the opportunity to attend Council meetings and any public hearing to consider submissions.
The closing date for submissions is Monday 21 May 2018.
A submission must be sent to Robyn Hellman, Local Policy Team Leader at City of Melbourne, and lodged either:
- Online below
- Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
City of Melbourne
GPO Box 1603
Melbourne VIC 3001
All submissions received will be made public. The planning authority must make a copy of every submission available at its office for any person to inspect free of charge for two months after the amendment comes into operation or lapses.
Make a submission
Complete the form below to make a formal submission. Submissions close 5pm on 21 May 2018.