The City of Melbourne has been at the forefront of heritage planning in Australia since the 1980s. When the first heritage controls were introduced, more than 30 studies were undertaken to document the city’s heritage.
Now more than 7,000 properties are protected under the Heritage Overlay in the Melbourne Planning Scheme. The municipality has benefited from this commitment to heritage and is renowned as one of the world’s great Victorian-era cities, with a rich diversity of heritage places.
A Directions Hearing was held on 1 June 2018 at Planning Panels Victoria in relation to Amendment C258. The Hearing will commence at 10am Monday 6 August 2018.
For more information, see the panel hearing timetable.
All documents supplied to the Panel before the Directions Hearing are available in the documents directory.
All submissions received by the Planning Authority have been referred to the Panel. A comprehensive summary of all submissions is available at Attachment 3 (pg 22 of 250) of the C258 Report to the Future Melbourne Committee of 20 February 2018. A hardcopy of original Submissions is available at Council.
- Anita Brady - Lovell Chen
- Anita Brady - Lovell Chen (Attachment 4)
- David Helms
- Graeme Butler
- Scott Hartley
- Sophie Jordan
- Addendum to Scott Hartley's Evidence Statement
- Best Hooper for Bardsville Pty Ltd (309-325 Bourke Street, Melbourne) - Submission No. 77
- Best Hooper for Domenico & Maria Patti (322 Walsh Street, South Yarra) - Submission No. 46
- Best Hooper for Lost Dog's Home (2 Gracie Street, North Melbourne) - Submission No. 76
- Best Hooper for Shaun Driscoll & Margaret Bradshaw (159-161 Roden Street, West Melbourne) - Submission No. 43
- Best Hooper for Stadiums Pty Ltd (300 Dudley Street, West Melbourne) - Submission No. 75
- Best Hooper for Stanley Street Holdings Pty Ltd (210 Stanley Street, West Melbourne) - Submission No. 99
- Department of Justice (317 Spencer Street, West Melbourne) - Submission No. 58
- Goldsmiths Lawyers for 613 King Street Pty Ltd & Trevor Nominees Pty Ltd - Submission No. 21
- HWL Ebsworth for Dustday Investments Pty Ltd and Botex Pty Ltd - Submission No. 30 & 31
- King & Wood Mallesons for Melbourne Business School - Submission No. 22
- Norton Rose Fulbright for Oliver Hume Property Funds (164-184 Roden Street, West Melbourne) - Submission No. 38
- Norton Rose Fulbright for University of Melbourne - Submission No. 65
Since the 1980s, heritage planning in Australia has become more holistic. Amendment C258 seeks to implement a new approach to heritage practice in the City of Melbourne which streamlines, modernises and improves the policy and guidance around protecting and redeveloping heritage places and to align with the current best practice grading system used throughout Victoria.