We want to know what you think when it comes to creating smoke-free areas in the City of Melbourne.
Before deciding if a proposed area will become smoke-free, we engage with key stakeholders to understand the potential impacts and benefits of making these areas smoke-free. These include:
- building owners
- sporting clubs
- people who use the area
- the broader community.
This includes face-to-face discussions, pop-up information sessions, surveys and inviting people to share feedback online.
What we heard
Following community consultation, we received a majority of support to make a total of 11 areas smoke-free.
- Goldsbrough Lane (off Bourke Street between William and King streets)
- QV Melbourne (corner of Lonsdale and Swanston streets)
- The Causeway (off Bourke Street between Swanston and Elizabeth streets)
- Howey Place (off Little Collins Street between Swanston and Elizabeth streets)
- Equitable Place (runs between Collins and Little Collins streets between Elizabeth and Queen streets)
- Block Place (runs between Collins and Little Collins streets between Swanston and Elizabeth streets)
- The Tan running track
- Princes park running track
- Collins Way (off Little Collins between Elizabeth and Queen Streets)
- Fullham Place (off Flinders Lane between Elizabeth and Queen Streets)
- Bourke Street (between Elizabeth Street and Russell Place, including Bourke Street Mall)
At the conclusion of the engagement period a feedback report is produced. The report includes recommendations on whether the proposed area should become smoke-free, based on the feedback received. We consider all feedback, both for and against, when making decisions about prescribing smoke-free areas.
The feedback report is then provided to Council for consideration. Councillors review the feedback reports and submissions received. Each issue is put to a vote, with a majority needed in order for an area to be prescribed smoke-free.
Any member of the public may attend these meetings and/or make a submission. If they wish to do this, they can also elect to address Council during the meeting.