While we expected the draft concept plan would be available at the end of 2016, due to unexpected delays, it is now expected to be released for community feedback in April/May 2017. We thank you for your patience.
The first phase of engagement closed on 22 April 2016. Project updates are provided below.
The City of Melbourne is exploring how to improve Macarthur Square for the people of Carlton.
We have developed an Ideas Plan which shows three key ideas:
- Increasing the area of open space by expanding Macarthur Square into Macarthur Place North and South.
- Including additional street tree planting in Macarthur Place North and South.
- Understanding how Macarthur Square can best support the recreation activities of a diverse local community. This includes allocating a portion of the Square to provide a dog off leash area for the local community.
View the Ideas Plan in the Document Library. The first stage of community engagement is now closed.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the first round of community engagement.
The ideas plan sought to explore with the community three key concepts:
- Expanding the size of Macarthur Square into adjacent roads.
- The potential for part of the Square to support a dog off leash area.
- Introducing additional street tree planting.
We received a great deal of interest in this project from a wide range of stakeholders. We received 118 completed surveys, a petition signed by 69 people and a number of additional pieces of correspondence. We also had strong community interest at the information sessions run in the Square.
Based on the feedback received, we do not believe there is sufficient community support to progress with an expansion of Macarthur Square or the introduction of a dog off-leash area at this time. We will progress the development of a concept plan to introduce street tree planting in Macarthur Place North and South and upgrade park facilities in Macarthur Square.
A summary report on phase one community engagement is available below. A heritage review of Macarthur Square was completed in June 2016 and is available in the document library
We will develop a draft concept plan for Macarthur Square which we expect to present for community feedback towards the end of 2016.
For those of you who participated in phase one community engagement and indicated that you wish to be kept informed, you will receive an email when the draft concept plan is released. We will also continue to provide updates on this page.
Thank you for taking part in the first stage of community engagement. We are reviewing the submissions received and provide a summary of the feedback and comments.