Along with a new Market Square and plans for a new multi-purpose civic building, the transformation of Franklin Street will continue City of Melbourne’s investment in the Queen Victoria Market precinct.
Early works on the removal of the roundabout will start in February 2024. These works will realign Franklin Street and unlock Gurrowa Place.
The Franklin Street transformation project proposes:
- 1250m² of open space for residents, workers and visitors to enjoy
- Turning four lanes of traffic into two, maintaining access for motorists in both directions
- Better connections for people moving between the CBD and Queen Victoria Market
- More trees and plants, providing 40 per cent more coverage and helping to create a cooler environment
- Improved safety for the community with new pedestrian crossings, lighting and reduced traffic flow
- Stormwater flooding management with draining upgrades and water sensitive urban design solutions.
The transformation of Franklin Street was part of the Queen Victoria Market Precinct Renewal Master Plan, and is co-funded by City of Melbourne and the Department of Transport and Planning through the Transport and Amenity Program (TAP).
This city-shaping project will be delivered in two stages:
- Stage one is from Peel Street to Queen Street and involves removing access from William Street through to Queen Street, removing the roundabout and realigning the roadway. Further works, including the construction of pathways and signalising the intersection will only occur at the end of the Gurrowa Place development.
- Stage two is from Queen Street to Stewart Street and involves converting two of the four road lanes into public open space, with wider footpaths and better connections between the market and CBD.
View the draft concept design
Timeline item 1 - complete
Draft concept design and community engagement plan presented to Future Melbourne Committee
11 July 2023
Timeline item 2 - complete
12 July to 23 August 2023
Timeline item 3 - active
Timeline item 4 - active
Roundabout removal - early works
Timeline item 5 - incomplete
Stage 2 concept design revised to reflect community feedback
Timeline item 6 - incomplete
Stage 2 concept design endorsed by Council to be released for second round of community consultation
Timeline item 7 - incomplete
Roundabout removal - major works
Timeline item 8 - incomplete
Progress stage 2 to detailed design
Timeline item 9 - incomplete
Construction of stage 2 (Franklin Street)