Panel Directions and timetable and documents
The Amendment C308 Panel hearing is scheduled to commence on Thursday 28 February 2019. The Panel has issued the Directions and timetable.
- Panel directions and timetable of 5 February 2019
- Document 1 43_02s01 Panel version tracked
- Document 2 43_02s01 Panel version clean
- Table of example sites prepared by the Panel 14 February 2019
- Panel Report May 2019
- Council's Part A Submission
- Urban Design Analysis
- Publicly Accessible Private Plazas in Central Melbourne
- Preferred pedestrian connection locations
The new planning policy will focus on:
- Limitations on above ground parking to maximise active uses in the lower 20m of a building.
- New requirements for building services (utilities) at the ground level of a building.
- Extension of the active frontage requirements that already exist in many areas of the Central City to new areas of the City including Southbank.
- New requirements to focus on the design detail of the lower levels of a building, to ensure high quality, human scale streets and public spaces.
For more information, see:
Amendment C308 proposes to introduce new urban design provisions into the Melbourne Planning Scheme by:
- Deleting Clause 22.01 Urban Design in the Capital City Zone policy;
- Replacing Schedule 1 to the Design and Development Overlay Active Street Frontages with a new Schedule 1 to the Design and Development Overlay Urban Design in the Central City and Southbank. The proposed DDO1 includes development requirements to ensure a high standard of urban design, architecture and landscape architecture in all new development;
- Deleting Schedule 4 to the Design and Development Overlay (Weather Protection – Capital City Zone) and incorporating the provisions of this schedule into the proposed DDO1;
- Replacing the schedule to Clause 61.03 with a new schedule to Clause 61.03; and
- Deleting Map No 8DDO1 and Map 8DDO4 and replacing with a new Map No 8DDO1.
Amendment C308 is supported by a Synthesis Report and the Central Melbourne Design Guide, which will provide developers, consultants and planners with an illustrated guide showing how the proposed DDO1 provisions can be achieved.
Amendment C308 will affect new development in the Central City and Southbank. It includes provisions to foster good design in new development.
The proposed DDO1 will apply to land generally within the Hoddle Grid and Southbank and will inform the City of Melbourne’s assessment of any planning permit application within this area.
It is important to note that the Melbourne Planning Scheme is a detailed document and various planning scheme policies and provisions can apply to land.
You can find more information at Melbourne Planning Schemes.
The period of public exhibition was undertaken from 28 June to 10 August 2018. Forty one submissions were received., and all submissions have been considered by Council. Under the Planning and Environment Act 1987, Council can decide whether to make the change requested by submissions to the Amendment or request that the Minister for Planning to appoint an independent panel to review and hear submissions.
A request to appoint an independent panel has been made and a Directions hearing will be held on Thursday 31 January 2019. A Panel hearing has been scheduled to commence in the week of Monday 25 February 2019. All submitters to the amendment have been notified of these dates by Planning Panels Victoria.
A three person panel has been appointed comprising Lester Townsend (Chair), Lynn Sweeney (Member) and Lorina Nevegna (Member).
Before making a final decision on the Amendment, Council will consider the independent panel’s advice. If the Amendment is adopted by Council, then it will be submitted to the Minister for Planning for final approval.